Monday, March 3, 2014

The Godfather

I really enjoyed watching The Godfather.  Throughout my life I have heard about this movie numerous times and how it is considered a classic, but I never really made the time to watch it, so I'm happy that I finally got to see it.  I think the plot was incredible; I loved the way that it twisted around and it was so intricate, yet it all came together in the end.  Throughout the movie I was on the edge of my seat and wanted to see what would happen next.  I really loved the development of Michael's character.  He started off completely detached from the family business and was the typical good American soldier, but then made a huge transformation as he became the new Don.  I think all of the actors did an amazing job portraying members of the mafia.  Regardless if you enjoy classic movies or not, I think this is a movie that everyone should at least watch once.  Honestly, I thought I would really dislike it coming into it, but after watching it, I definitely want to watch part two.

Although Vito Corleone may not be a man of high morals, as the Don of his family, he set the standards for everyone else to follow if they wanted to be on his good side.  Whatever he says, goes.  If anyone denies the wish of Don Corleone,  they can expect either death or a great loss.  Also, as a man of high power, if you befriended him, he would do you a favor (which would have to be returned at some point).  Thus, he serves as the "moral" center of the film.  I was really sad when Vito passed away.  In a movie like this where you see the mafia from an inside perspective, it's easy to like the characters, even though from an outside perspective they would be viewed as horrible people.  I think that the death of Vito Corleone overall had neither a positive nor negative effect on the rest of the world as his family will continue to live on through Michael.

As I said before, this movie shows the inside perspective of organized crime.  From an outside perspective, organized crime comes across as a terrible thing, but from the inside, it seems like a family with different, more intense priorities.  From the inside, I even liked the members of the Corleone family and thought that, despite all of the bad they have done, they are still good people.  It's funny how, depending on who tells the story, your perspective on people can be radically different.  I think what makes this film so amazing in the eyes of nearly all who have seen it is the spectacular, intricate plot and the way in which you actually grow to like these people who would seem awful if you were to view them from any other perspective.  It's one of those stories that seems like it could just keep going and it evokes so many different feelings and thoughts regarding what's moral and what isn't.  I really do think it warrants being called a classic because whenever you hear the word "mafia", you'll think of this movie right away and it's something that everyone should at least watch once.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Sam that even though Vito doesn't actually have the best morals because he does hurt and kill people, he does have standards of who he hurts. When he died it was such a big moment because the standards were lost and more violence broke out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very interesting how Michael was not involved in the family business and then ultimately became the next Godfather. I knew he would have a significant part in the story when they introduced him but as you mentioned, it was fascinating to see him become apart of it all. Even from marrying a 'common' woman and bringing her into the mob life and learning to tell lies to protect his family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sam because I thought that despite the Corleone family being an "organized crime" family, I still liked them because they all had special bonds with each other. I thought that it was great for them to bring in an orphan boy and raise him. That shows that they aren't just a family that kills people, but also a family that cares about others.

    ReplyDelete