Monday, April 21, 2014

Apollo 13

Overall, I didn't really like Apollo 13 that much.  The first day of watching I was interested because I like Tom Hanks and it was really different from everything else we've watched, but the following days I found myself having a difficult time paying attention.  There was a lot going on and it was all very scientific and confusing.  Also, it wasn't really exciting to just watch them sitting in a spaceship the whole time.  I know that's the whole point of the movie, but it got kind of boring without a change of scenery.

I think that spending $9.928 billion a year on NASA is a ridiculous amount of wasted money.  Although space exploration may be interesting, there are so many problems on earth that need to be addressed and so many more places that money could have been allotted that would have benefited this planet.  Think about how that money could be used towards education, to help the needy, health care, ect.  I just don't see how landing on the moon provides any benefit to us.  I feel like the United States was just so caught up in this competition to be the most advanced country that they spent their money on that rather than on more important things.  

Currently, I don't think that space exploration should a priority for the United States.  As I said before, there are so many other issues that need to be addressed.  I feel like the United States always feels like they need to be ahead of other countries in everything.  It's more important to improve the country as a whole than to explore space, which benefits almost nobody.  I think it's smart that they retired the space program so that we can focus more on the problems in our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment