Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tombstone

At first, I thought I would definitely dislike watching Tombstone seeing that it came across as the typical old western movie with cowboys.  As the movie progressed, though, I definitely began to like it more.  I think the actors did an amazing job overall.  Wyatt's wife perfectly portrayed the role of a distressed, crazy wife and I definitely felt badly for her.  I really enjoyed the friendship that Wyatt and Doc shared; it seemed as if they would risk their lives for each other regardless of the circumstances.  I got very emotional during the scene where Wyatt and Doc had their last conversation on Doc's deathbed.  Doc was a very likable character and seeing him die definitely upset me.  One thing I didn't quite like about the movie was Wyatt's relationship with Josephine.  I didn't think there was any romantic buildup, it was just very random.  Almost like a fairy-tale "love at first sight" type thing.  Also, it upset me how he was so clearly involved with her while he still had an obligation to his wife.  I think that he should've handled things with his wife before being with another woman.  I thought the gun fight was pretty weak and that the movie needed more action, even if it wasn't historically correct to have more.  A scene I really liked was when Doc, as sick as he was, dealt with Ringo himself.  It was extremely courageous of him and really showed how much he valued Wyatt's friendship.  Some parts of the movie were a little unclear to me and I think they should've made a point of clarifying more of what was going on.  Overall, I thought it was a good movie and definitely taught me a lot about this topic that I had never really known anything about.  I don't think I would recommend it to someone if they were just looking for a typical movie to watch, but if someone had a passion for history or western movies then I would definitely recommend it to them.

I think what makes an event legendary is if it sticks out in history/people's minds.  Using this movie as an example, if someone were to hear of the town "Tombstone", they will most likely automatically think of the gun fight that occurred there.  What makes an event legendary depends upon if it is memorable and sticks out in people's minds.  Much like the qualifications for making an event legendary, a person would be considered a legend if they are remember for a specific thing.  I think that Wyatt and Doc are definitely both legends for the way they ruled the west and definitely through their time in Tombstone.  I don't think that there is too much of the "Wild West" that appeals to me.  The people overall seem rather unintelligent and closed-minded and I feel like there isn't any privacy there.  The only thing that does appeal to me is riding around on horses!

No comments:

Post a Comment